Saturday, October 3, 2020

World Card-Making Day

Welcome to World Card-Making Day, when we gather to create and enjoy making cards for others.  Sadly this year we are unable to "gather together", but in the spirit of the day, I contacted my customers about a "virtual" gathering.  And they accepted.

I created six cards, using retired Designer Series Papers (which I told them I'd be using, as I wanted to use up my stash), and packaged up all the pieces needed to complete their cards.  I also wrote a tutorial for each card, which was sent with their card packets.  No stamped images were included (that goes against Stampin' UP! policy) but every card was appropriate for various greetings, and all the customers who ordered were stampers with lots of stamps.

So here are my cards for World Card-Making Day.  Starting with the easiest:


This card uses three 1/2" strips of coordinated patterned paper, set on a diagonal.  The greeting is stamped on a Layering Oval and adhered to the Scalloped Oval.  Suggestions to step up this card included adding some jewels in the white space on the upper left side of this card.  

My "Still Easy but a Little Bit More" card was perfect for a birthday:


Layering the patterned paper on slightly larger cardstock and then layering all the pieces in a stair-step pattern made this card a knockout!  I suggested they add the layers with Dimensionals or add a ribbon or jewels to the sentiment square for added interest if desired.


Next we have the "Now You're Cookin'" card:


This was a personal favorite, as I love the classic black and white (some customers also got this in pink).  I like it just the way it is, but advised some possible "stepping up" with ribbon around the left side of the card, or adding jewels to the circle.  I also suggested embossing the circle with an embossing folder.

Here's a "Little Bit More":


This is so pretty in Blackberry Bliss and Pool Party!  Not much else the card needs, but if they wanted, they could emboss the Pool Party die cut, or even the little strip of Pool Party if they desired a little touch of class.  


Now I tested them on the ability to line things up:


Just three strips of patterned paper mounted to a coordinating color of cardstock, and then a few paper banners and the sentiment medallion.  Easy, if you can get everything straight!  I suggested they replace the paper banners with ribbon if desired, or if their greeting was smaller than mine, to add some jewels to the circle.

And finally, the "Pro" card:


They proved they could line things up on the previous card, so why not try again?  This time they had 4 strips for the outside and a piece of cardstock for the center, and then their labels.  Really not hard, but it takes some concentration to get all the strips placed right.  And it was suggested to add a piece of ribbon under the banner or more jewels on the white greeting label, for a little bling.

And there you have it!  My World Card-Making Day class.  I really missed the gathering, but I love the cards, and from the comments I got back from my customers, they did too!  2020 - nothing normal, but we can still have fun!  

What are you creating?

No comments: