Thursday, January 13, 2022

Sweet Birthday

With all the excitement of the new January -June 2022 Mini Catalog, it's easy to overlook some of the wonderful items from the Annual book.  But when I needed a birthday card for my sweet niece, I reached for Sweet Strawberry:


I truly had no idea where I was going with this card.  I only knew I wanted to feature some of the fabulous black and white patterned papers available in the host offering, Pattern Party patterned paper.  This incredible collection of papers (you get 48- 12" x 12" sheets) has colored designs on one side and black/white designs on the back.  LOVE!

And I was also hankering to use the Basic Borders dies, which I had purchased but done nothing with...YET!  So that's where I started.

And I saw a fun fold that I wanted to try; at least I thought it was a fun fold, but once I started playing with the cardstock, I realized that the card I had seen wasn't a fold at all, but just layered papers to make it look like one.  So I had to come up with my own design.  


I knew I would need a focal point where the card closed and these little strawberries were perfect!  Stamped and punched with the coordinating punch, I layered them on a Layering Circle of Basic White, on top of a Melon Mambo scalloped circle.

Now for the card:

I started with a 5-1/2" x 8-1/2" piece of cardstock, scored at 2-3/4" and 7".  This gave me a 2-3/4" flap and a 1-1/2" flap on either side of the 4-1/4" (standard size card) piece in the middle.  


I covered the 2-3/4" x 5-1/2" end with the black-dotted design and cut two pieces of 5-1/2" x 2-1/2" of the white-dotted design with the Basic Borders die.  These were adhered to the shorter flap, giving me a longer piece to overlap the front of the card.


I used some mini-magnets to close the card.  


This card took me WAY longer to create than I thought it would, but once I figured out my measurements, I was really happy with the way it turned out.  

How long do you usually take to make a card?  Are you a "quick and easy" type of creator?  Or are you comfortable sitting down and figuring out how to make something new, regardless of the time it takes to make it?  

Me?  I'm usually more of the "quick and easy" type, but when I'm creating for someone special, I will take all the time I need to get it right.  And I think I nailed it on this one!  

Don't forget the Annual Catalog - there are many gems in there for your creating pleasure!


Product List

No comments: