Friday, June 9, 2017

A Momentous Birthday!

Monday is my dad's 90th birthday!  I think he's actually surprised to be knocking on this door, but he's in surprisingly good health (although quite deaf without his hearing aids).

My dad is not a "demonstrative" man.  He's only recently been able to say, "I love you" out loud.  But I've always known the feelings are there.  When he is in charge of purchasing greeting cards, he's much more prone to getting a humorous one rather than a sentimental one.

So this year, when it was time to make him a special birthday card, I decided to go a little rogue.  And I know he's gonna love it.  Take a look:






When I saw Wood Textures Designer Series Paper Stack, this piece of paper stood out to me.  I knew it would make a nice background, but as I got thinking about my dad's big birthday, this piece of DSP came jumping into my head, and I couldn't let it go.  "You have how many rings?"  LOL!

In order to use as much as the DSP as possible, this card is an unusual one--it's actually two 5" x 5" square cards, layered together.  Here's how it works:

Flip the front up, and this is inside (I love the Eastern Medallions Thinlits, and used them as the background for my Number of Years "90").



Then open the side:
and here is the inside. 

Details:

  • The front uses the Wood Textures DSP on a base of the now-retired Delightful Dijon cardstock, with a skinny layer of Early Espresso
  • The sentiment is stamped using Labeler Alphabet in Delightful Dijon ink on Crumb Cake 
  • Layer two is Early Espresso and Garden Green.  The Eastern Medallions thinlit was cut using Delightful Dijon; the Number of Years "90" was stamped using Early Espresso ink, cut with the Large Numbers Framelits, and cut again in Vellum, which was layered over the Espresso numbers
  • The inside of the card uses Letters for You (WOW!) stamped with Garden Green.  The Happy Birthday is a new thinlit - "Happy Birthday" and is cut using Garden Green cardstock
  • Although I forgot to take a photo, I used the Envelope Punch Board to create a custom, matching envelope for this oversized card
My dad has many "rings", but is a vibrant and socially aware man, who also happens to be a wonderful caretaker for my mom.

Happy Birthday, Dad!  I love you!

Product List

No comments: