Sunday, February 7, 2021

Dragonfly Spotlight

 Have you heard of the Spotlight Technique?  This is where you highlight - in color - a piece of muted or single-color paper.  This can be done by coloring in a section of a black & white pattern, or by punching a colored piece and placing it over the black & white pattern.

I was looking at all the patterns in the Dandy Garden package of patterned paper, and I found two of them that were identical except for the coloring.  One was in Mossy Meadow and White, while the other was colored using Misty Moonlight, Bumblebee and Mossy Meadow.  I decided to try the Spotlight Technique:


I started by choosing the Mossy Meadow/White sheet of paper, layering it on a piece of Mossy Meadow.  Then I took the coordinating pattern (the one in color) and die cut squares and lined them up on the uncolored paper.

Now when you see this paper up close, I think you'll understand what I did:


Note how the pattern in the colored square matches up with the pattern of the mossy/white sheet.  This "spotlighted" the pattern.  Get it?  😊

It took a little bit of figuring out just what squares to die cut, and how to add them, but I liked how it came out.  I only had to add a little Mossy Meadow Braided Linen Trim and a punched dragonfly (it's from another sheet of the patterned paper and matches the coordinating punch! Yea!).  


Try the Spotlight Technique - it can make a plain background pop!  


Product List

No comments: