Thursday, January 9, 2020

Nothing New

I've got nothing new today.  I've been busy making a ton of birthday cards (January is one of my family's biggest birthday months) and I needed a card for my adult nephew.  I thought about a few of the new stamp sets, but settled on one that just retired (gasp!):


Yes, Sip Sip Hooray just retired, but it is such a cute set that I decided to keep it for now.  And I'm so glad I did!  Any wine glass or cocktail glass set could be used to make this card, so I'm going to show you a few of the tricks I used to put it together.

First - that background.  I had pulled out the See a Silhouette Designer Series Paper because I love the bright colors.  The "sky" on this card is one of the sheets.  And those palm trees?  The Friendly Silhouettes dies...another of my favorite things!

I cut the sky paper with the die, leaving a hole where the palm trees are.  Then I had some need for creativity to make the trees.

First I stamped the Sahara Sand with the bubbles from the set.  Then I adhered a small piece of Soft Suede behind the trunks of the trees.  And I glued the "sky" to the "sand".



I used the die again on a piece of Old Olive, and carefully removed each of the palm fronds, glueing them into the holes in my "sky" piece...a form of paper piecing.  I finished the trees using a Soft Suede Stampin' Write Marker to draw the "bark" lines.

The "water" was cut with the same Friendly Silhouette dies, to nestle into the "sky" piece, and then I free-handed the water's edge with my Paper Snips.  I stamped it with the water image from High Tide using Balmy Blue ink, and gave it some little white-caps with an old White Gel Pen.  (See next photo).

Now for the glasses:


Stamped on Whisper White and cut with the coordinating dies, I then covered them with the Shimmery Crystal Effects, which I believe is on the carryover list from the Holiday Mini Catalog (I've misplaced my list somewhere in the mess on my desk!).  This made the glasses look like glass:


Fun, huh?

I expect my nephew will enjoy his card; I sure had fun making it!


Product List




2 comments:

StinkerbellSteph said...

Awesome cards!

Stampin' Amigos said...

Thanks very much! This was fun to make.