Sunday, July 15, 2018

Inspiration Sunday

I love this time of year in the region where I live.  It's known for it's agriculture, and during spring and summer, the scenery can be breathtaking.  Just about a mile from my home in Davis, CA (outside of Sacramento) there is a huge field for growing.  When I first moved to Davis (24 years ago) this field was full of tomatoes; there was a cannery for Hunts, and in the late summer we would wake up thinking we needed to eat spaghetti for dinner.  And then we would realize we were smelling the scent of canning tomatoes.

Today the cannery is gone, but the field is not.  And every year in June and July, there is the most magnificent display of sunflowers.  It's impossible to describe so here is the picture, worth a 1000 words:


And just so you can get the full effect, here are a few more:


So gorgeous!  (Not me!  The sunflowers!). 😏

And of course, these photos inspired me to make a card:



The field of sunflowers immediately made me think of Painted Harvest.

I started with a Whisper White Thick base, cut 5-1/2" x 11" and scored in half.  To this I added a 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" piece of Wood Textures DSP in order to get a "barn" background.


I randomly stamped the sunflowers, using Daffodil Delight and Crushed Curry inks for the flowers and Pear Pizzazz and Old Olive for the centers.  I then added Garden Green seeds.  The leaves were stamped in Old Olive and Garden Green.


Rooted in Nature gave me the perfect embellishment for the corner.  I used the thinlits dies to cut and emboss the leaves using Mossy Meadow cardstock and used Glue Dots to secure them to the corner of my card.  Linen Thread was wrapped around the card and through the sentiment from Itty Bitty Greetings.


I love the inspiration that nature provides...such a beautiful display - I hope I've captured just a small part of the beauty of this field.  

Thanks for visiting; if you would like to create a sunflower card of your own, you can click on the photos below to order the products I used for this card.



SaveSave Product List

2 comments:

SunshineLady said...

Hi Priscilla, it looks like you have several layers on the front. Maybe Daffodil Delight and Early Expresso cardstock under the painted harvest piece. I want to use this in my next class. Would you let me know what you've used for the border under the painted harvest? Thanks, Ceresa

Stampin' Amigos said...

Hi Ceresa
I used Thick Whisper White cardstock, cut 5-1/2"x8-1/2" and folded in half. Then I took a piece of the Wood Textures DSP and cut it to 4-1/4" x 5-1/2" and layered it over the entire front. The stamped panel was layered on Early Espresso and then Daffodil Delight, and then adhered to the card front. Hope the helps!