Friday, May 27, 2022

Pretty Boxes

 While I adore card-making, sometimes I need another paper product - gift boxes.  And I have become pretty good at creating boxes for various occasions.  Take today:  I needed two little gifts for friends who are celebrating their birthdays.  Fortunately I have a stash of greeting cards 😉 and I've found that most of my friends love to receive a package of hand-made cards.  But how to package them?

I've got two samples to share with you today.  AND I have a template for you, so you can create your own.



First up, a floral box, using the Hues of Happiness designer paper.  


I started with a Melon Mambo box bottom (hard to see here, but scroll down - it's more clear with the second box).  Then I created a box-top using the floral paper.  

And check out that tag:


Made with the new Designer Tags dies, this is a true beauty!  I cut two of the main die pieces, one in Melon Mambo and the second in Basic White.  But I added the rose die to the Basic White one, leaving a cut out and allowing the Melon Mambo underneath to show through.  LOVE!  

And for my second box (for a friend who travels to Hawaii frequently and loves the beach):


A Soft Succulent box with the Texture Chic patterned paper for the top.  So pretty!


I think you can see that the cardstock box bottom is taller than the top, so some of the color shows under the patterned paper.  


And it's decorated with a gold-embossed Soft Succulent shell from Season of Chic, mounted to a Tailored Tag with a Distressed Gold "fishnet" underneath.  

Ready to make your own box?  This will hold approximately 5-6 embellished cards with envelopes.  

Start with a piece of cardstock, measuring 7" x 8-1/2", and score on all four sides at 1-1/4".  Snip the four corners as shown:


(Ignore the extra score line on the top of the paper - my goof!  I only scored at 1", and it needed to be at 1-1/4" 😩).

Here's a close up of how each corner should look:


Then fold on the score lines (burnish with a bone folder to get crisp edges) and glue the corners.  

For the top of the box, choose a patterned paper and cut it to a "smidge" over 6" x a "smidge" over 7-1/2". This time score all 4 sides at 3/4", and cut the corners the same as above.  Burnish the score lines and glue to form a box top.  

Then just decorate as you like.  

I can guarantee that your friends and family members will LOVE getting a pretty box of hand-made cards.  Win-win-win!  We get to make cards (happy!) and we get to give them away (happy!) AND your friends get to give them to THEIR friends (happy!).   What could be better?

Give it a try, and make your friends happy!  😊


Product List

2 comments:

Judy Gielniak said...

These are Absolutely STUNNING creations! Thank you for the directions and pictures! Can't wait to try them.

Priscilla said...

Thanks so much, Judy! I think you’ll find the box quite easy to make and I’m sure your friends will love them!