Saturday, May 21, 2022

A Card and a Treat

When I was a kid, my mom used to get us Christmas Crackers at the holidays.  You know, those toilet-paper tubes, wrapped in paper and cinched and tied on both ends, and filled with something noisy and a paper hat?  Yeah, those...well Stampin' UP! has brought out a new die, and oh my, the new Cracker & Treat Box dies make a really cute treat holder!  

As is often the case, I decided against purchasing this die when the new catalog went live.  I didn't "need" it.  And then I saw a cute sample on Marisa Alvarez' blog, Kitchen Table Stamper, and decided I really DID "need" it.  And I'm so glad I got it!  

Although my sample is not near as cute as Marisa's, I still love it, and know I will only get more creative with time.  So take a look at my first attempt:


Isn't that sweet?  And it's filled with Hershey kisses, so, yeah, it really IS sweet!  


This is a little 5-sided cylinder, with the cinched sides that I tied with a ribbon.  It comes with 7 different tags (or windows if you choose) and stars and hearts for decorating.  I chose to make it easy, using a pretty plaid from the Tea Boutique Designer Paper pack and some retired Blushing Bride ribbon.  And see that little butterfly?  I think it's actually a little flower, and it's from the Sentiment Silhouette dies--I cut it with Blushing Bride and Polished Pink.

Anyway, when you cut the box with the dies, you get a bunch of diamonds left over (from where the ends are cinched).  And if you know me, I hate to waste anything, so...


How about a coordinating card?  


I ran a piece of Basic White cardstock through my Stampin' Cut & Emboss machine with one of the Stitched with Whimsy dies to create that cute whimsical border.  Then I just placed the diamonds in a flower shape, using a glue dot to anchor each piece.  The stem/leaves were created with a swipe of my Soft Succulent Stampin' Write Marker.


Need a great group of greetings?  Check out Go To Greetings, on page 26 of the catalog.  It's a set of 13 stamps - there are 4 phrases (Thank You, Happy Birthday, Thinking of You and Just a Note) in three different sizes and fonts...such a perfect set to reach for when you need a greeting on your card.  Oh, and there is also "hello" - one single stamp, to round out the most-often used sentiments.  I used the small Thank You for my treat box, and the mid-size Just a Note for my card.


Now I love the Cracker & Treat Box dies even more - I got a free card out of it!  And who doesn't love FREE?

Check out the wonderful free-standing dies in this year's catalog!  I'm sure you'll find one you "need" too!


Product List

No comments: