Sunday, October 26, 2014

A Christmas Card of a Different Color

I have to admit that while I usually make most of my Christmas cards using some shade of reds and greens, I occasionally like to mix it up a bit.  I've had a few "Blue Christmas" cards (here ) and some that are mostly greens (here).

But this time, I really took it to another level, and I'm still wondering if I like it.  Take a look:





Yes, it really is a black and white Christmas card.  I saw the idea (although it was all white, fewer layers and used red and green sequins) on Kimberly Van Diepen's blog (here) AND I happened to have a jar of black punched stars from another project that I made sitting on my desk.  I had been wanting to make a shaker card using the black and silver stars, so this seemed like a good place to start.

Using the "Joy" from the fabulous Wonderful Wreath Framelits dies, I ran it through my Big Shot with a piece of Whisper White cardstock.  I kept the "joy" cutout for another project, and am using the negative space for this card.




I then adhered a piece of Window Sheet to the back of the cutout.

My card base is Whisper White, 4-1/4" x 11" and scored at 5-1/2".  To this I added a piece of Basic Black, 4" x 5-1/4", but I cut out the middle so the Joy would be on top of a white background.

Then, using the edges (small, skinny pieces) of a sheet of Dimensionals, I made a frame to the Joy card stock piece would be popped up over the black layer.  Before adhering the joy layer, I dumped some of the black and Silver Glimmer Paper stars that I had punched with my Confetti Stars Punch on the card.  Then I carefully placed on my top layer, and voila!  A shaker card of stars!




I also, somehow, got a dot of orange ink (what?  Where did that come from--I was using black and white!) on the top front of the card!  Geez!  But as I always tell my class attendees--a "mistake" is not a "mistake"; it's an opportunity!  So I glued a few more of my black stars to the front...can't even see that silly dot of orange ink!

So what do you think?  An elegant Christmas Card?  Or is it just too dreary in black and white to send out this year?  Won't you leave me a comment and let me know?

All supplies can be purchased here.

And let's get creating.

No comments: