Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Am I Die Challenged?

 So I got the new Patchwork Pieces dies (set of two) the other day and thought it would be fun to experiment with them.  They looked very simple - one cuts a starburst pattern and the other cuts "waves" of paper.  Easy peasy, right?

Well not exactly.  

Don't get me wrong - the dies are extremely easy to use.  They cut like a dream, and the pieces are actually attached by a tiny dot of paper in the middle, so why was it so difficult to create this?


Actually, it wasn't...or at least it wasn't once I figured out what I was doing wrong. 

You see I started with one piece of patterned paper (double sided, as almost all of our designer papers are).  So once I cut it out, I flipped over every other piece in order to have both patterns available.   

And then I got totally stuck and confused.  I just couldn't get all the pieces lined up right AND (duh!) since the pieces have "stitch marks" around the outside of them, flipping them over had the stitch marks on the wrong side.  Again - DUH!


But I persevered.  And I finally figured that if I actually CUT two patterns, it goes together beautifully!  (AND you have enough pieces to create a second card!)

I used the Brights 6" x 6" Designer Series Paper in Azure Afternoon.  I pulled apart the pieces, spreading them slightly, and mounted them to a piece of 3-3/4" x 5" Basic White cardstock.  Perfect!

This piece was then mounted to a slightly larger piece of Azure Afternoon, which in turn was added to a slightly larger piece of Lemon Lime Twist before adhering to my Azure Afternoon card base.  Whew!


Circle Sayings (on a white circle cut with the Reach for the Stars dies) was stamped, and then I added the little candles from Sentiment Silhouettes dies.  The scalloped circle was cut with the All That dies.

Two strips across the center of the card had some Tinsel Gems 4 pack added.


I love the end product, even if the "getting there" was painful 😩.  But now I know the secret (and you do too!) of how the sunburst die works, so next time really should be easy peasy!  

The Patchwork Pieces dies are a stand-alone set (no coordinating stamps) but should not be overlooked.  They are fun and will really add a WOW factor to your cards.  Give them a try!


Product List

No comments: