Tuesday, June 6, 2023

Spinning Piñata

 My granddaughter turned three the other day.  I wanted to make her a card that would hold her attention for a minute, and came up with this:


I used the piñata image from Taco Fiesta to create a spinner card for Hannah.  

What's a spinner card?  Take a look:



Isn't that fun?  She was definitely intrigued when she opened her card!  (But her dad played with it for 15 minutes!  😄)


The Melon Mambo card base is cut to 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", and scored twice - once at the usual 4-1/4" and again at 2-1/8".  The front of the card is folded back on itself. 

After stamping all the candies and adding the Basic White panel to my card (along with the striped panel inside) I used a retired Layering Circle die to cut a hole.  

My piñata was stamped and colored with Blends, but I needed a reverse image for the back side (since it would spin around).  This is quite easily accomplished by stamping 3 times on a craft mat, then laying your cardstock upside down over the image and stamping again (this allows the ink on the craft mat to transfer to the cardstock).  Using a Stamparatus or similar stamp-positioning tool is the perfect way to get a precise and clean stamped image.  

I placed a piece of thread on the back of one of the piñatas, then adhered the reversed-image so they lined up, with the thread in the center.  The piñata was centered in the hole in the card base, and the thread glued carefully to the crease on the back, made by the score line at 2-1/8".  This allows the piñata to "float" in the hole.


To make it spin, I just spun it around, then held the card closed until I was ready to let it spin, and off it went!

Of course there is not much room to write a greeting on this card, so I flipped it over and:


The Wanted to Say dies made a perfect greeting, and I used the retired Playful Alphabet dies to make the number sign and the number 3.  

There are a number of videos available on YouTube for making this spinner card; rather than create another one, here's link to Lisa Curcio's instructions:  How to Make a Z-Fold Spinner Card: The Easy Tutorial | Christmas Card Idea.  

Give it a try; someone will love opening a card like this!  



Product List

No comments: