Saturday, February 23, 2019

A Manly Birthday

Do you struggle with creating birthday cards for men?  I do.  Why is that?  Just because I don't want to use flowers, butterflies, ribbons or pastels?

Well I decided to try making a card of wood.  That's right - wood.  My son is a contractor, and although he always tells me he likes my cards, I know that sometimes the cards are not quite "manly" enough for him.  So this year I went this way:


Yup a card of "wood".  And I love it!

There's no stamping on this card.  I used the Wood Textures Designer Series Paper and the Happy Birthday Thinlits dies.  Easy.


I started with a piece of Basic Black Cardstock, to which I adhered strips of the Wood Textures paper.  I cut the strips anywhere between 1/4" and 3/4" and then mixed them up.  Once adhered, the piece was cut with the Rectangle Stitched Framelits, and then mounted to another piece of Basic Black, leaving a very skinny border.


I popped up the piece on a card base covered with another piece of the Wood Textures.

And I cut out the Happy Birthday twice - once in Wood Texture paper and again in Basic Black.  


Can you see the "shadow" behind the letters?  Using two layers also gives a little added dimension.  And the phrase was adhered using the Multipurpose Adhesive Sheets (before cutting out the words).

And inside:


A frame of wood surrounds the sentiment.

Of course a card like this needs a coordinating envelope:


I think Evan will love this card!  Don't you?

Wood Textures is a terrific DSP, back for a second year in the Annual Catalog, and still a great seller!  Get some today!

No comments: