Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday's "What's on the Desk?"

Time to see what I've been doing and look at the mess on my desk.  I had a bunch of Santas left over from a class, so this is what my desk looked like this week:


I was getting ready to send my grandkids some treat tubes with holiday-colored M&M's, so these were also sitting there.  I thought about packaging ideas, and then THIS happened:


I wanted to design a holder for the treat tubes, and with all the Santas I had sitting there, I thought maybe a little "box" would be cute.  This is is the primitive drawing I made so that I could "picture" it in my head.

Who remembers Raspberry Ripple cardstock?  I had a partial package of this long-ago In Color and decided to use it for my design project:


I knew I would use the Scalloped Tag Topper punch for one end, so I scored the other end to try to create a box, but I got the measurements wrong.  Do over:


Using 3/4" increments, I tried again, and:


Yes!  I've determined that scoring every 3/4" x four will make the box I wanted at the bottom of my carrier.  So now for the REAL one, using Whisper White Thick Cardstock--I cut a strip just less than 2" wide by 8-1/2":



Then I scored one end at 3/4", 1-1/2", 2-1/4" and 3":




And the box needs a hole for the treat tube:


The 3/4" circle punch is perfect.

Once I've punched the top of the cardstock this is what I have:


Now to make the box - I fold and burnish each score line and add some Multipurpose Liquid Glue to the end:




Now to make it pretty.

I have some Under the Mistletoe Designer Series Paper; the back will be 4" x 1-3/4":


And the little strip on the front is 3/4" x just under 2":


Using a retired set, Greetings from Santa and the Take Out Thinlits, I create some tags:


And now I need to lock my treat tubes into place.  I start by marking a place for two holes on either side of the treat tube:


And punch them with the 1/8" circle punch:


A piece of retired red ribbon, 1/8" wide, is threaded through and tied around my treat tube:


Almost done.  Let's add the final decorations - a mini tree (again, a retired punch):



With some Red Rhinestones and Santa:



And done:


And that was what was on my desk today...do you think my grandkids will love them?

Supplies used are listed below:

Product List






No comments: