Saturday, July 18, 2015

A Fun Evening (and a card)

On Thursday night I took a break from crafting.  GASP!  You say, "How could you take a break from crafting when you leave for Convention in less than a week?"  I reply, "I know!  I must've been totally insane.  With all the things I still have to do and swaps to make, how could I ever take a break?"

Well, the answer is simple - I went to see my husband play in his band.  I've totally been married for-ev-ah! and my husband has been dreaming about playing in a band all that time.  And guess what!?!  It's finally happened!

Just to set the record straight, it was not a simple dream of his.  He was a trained classical guitarist who had played the bass in a high school-friends band (a million years ago!).  And although trained to perform, real life settled in (you know...wife, kids, house...) and he became a computer geek...because it paid better than the classical guitar gigs.

He's gone through many guitars trying to get the groove back, but it just wasn't there.  So he picked up a bass.  And BINGO!  Just what he wanted to do for the rest of his life (well, I'm exaggerating a bit).  But he really loved playing.

Unfortunately, along with the guitar-groove that left him, so was the ability to perform in public.  So he's been happily strumming away to his iPOD and the audience inside his head for awhile.  Until...he met a lead guitar player from a band.  (Uh oh...do you know where this is going?).  And he invites this guy over to have a little jam session (and I don't mean eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches).  And this guy says, "hey, Jim, the band I'm in really needs a bass player...wanna try out?"

And the rest is history!

The Michael Justis Band

(That's my hubby--the old white-haired guy in the back).  

And so now you know why I took a night off from crafting--had to go hear them at the Fox & Goose Pub in Sacramento.  And if you are in the area, please stop by on the third Thursday each month--you'll be in for a treat!

And now...back to our regularly-scheduled program:

A CARD

In tribute to my old guy:
I totally fell in love with this set when I first saw it.  Of course, I thought No Bones About It would be perfect for making cards and treat bags for my grandsons.  And what's the first thing I do with it?  Make a card that is sure to offend the recipient...oh well...my humor...

The skeleton of this beast was first heat-embossed with Versamark Ink and White Embossing Powder.  I then overlayed the beasty image, using the new (and wonderful!) Tip Top Taupe.  Then, after a little scrubbing with a paper towel, the bones were again revealed (this is called the "emboss resist" technique).

And do you love that sentiment?  Wondering what set that is in?  Well Stampin' UP! wouldn't deliberately offend anyone, so I had to make it myself.  The Alphabet Rotary Stamp is just the ticket to complete your creativity!  With 16(!) columns of letters, numbers and symbols, you can personalize your creations with just about anything!

I cut a frame using the "vintage" On Film framelits and adhered it to my dino image.  This was then popped up with Dimensionals onto another layer of Whisper White with the leaves from No Bones About It stamped in the corner.  And all is mounted to a Mossy Meadow base.

A Gold Basic Metal Button with a snippet of Linen Thread is the final addition.

Thanks for sticking with me through this VERY loooong post.

All items can be purchased here.



Now go make something!

No comments: