Monday, January 26, 2015

Birthday Month!

Another birthday in the household:  this time for my brother, Warren.
Warren and his lovely wife, Lynn, live about 90 minutes away from me, and my sister, Holly, with her husband, Kenton, live 6 hours away.  Yesterday we all got together to celebrate my brother's BIG birthday.  Holly and Kenton had driven up to my house Friday evening, and we all piled in the car early Saturday to make the 90 minute trek to my brother's...it was a surprise!  And surprise we did!  As we pulled up to the house, we all donned party hats, grabbed some "blowers" and jumped out of the car.  Warren, who had seen us from his kitchen window turned to his wife and asked, "Did we forget something?"  It didn't take long for him to realize he was just birthday-bombed!

We spent a lovely day reminiscing and enjoying each other before going out to a fantastic Italian dinner.  Then back to the house for birthday cake, before leaving for the trip home.  Just a wonderful day; I am truly blessed to have such a close and warm relationship with my siblings and spouses!

So of course I had to create a special card for my bro...I saw a shaker card using Washi tape to seal the edges and was intrigued.  However, my version is quite different (I used a lot of Dimensional edges to pop up my Window Sheet, and then Washi to cover the edges).  Take a look:

I wanted to use the large sentiment from Occasions 4 You, so I made a 3" x 6" card (start with a 6" x 6" piece of cardstock, scored and folded in half).  I put the Dimensional strips all the way around the edge and then dumped in lots of stars (I used the Star Border Punch on Basic Black, Crushed Curry, Bermuda Bay and Silver Glimmer Paper to get a pile of stars).

 Then I carefully laid a 3" x 6" piece of Window Sheet over the Dimensionals, sealing in the stars.  Then for the Washi Tape--I pulled out the Epic Day tape with the Basic Gray and White stripes, but found I didn't have enough--oh no!  Fortunately my stash revealed some left over Washi from the Holiday Catalog...to the rescue!  This was placed over the edges all the way around, effectively "sealing" the card.


I stamped the sentiment with Bermuda Bay ink, cut the banner shape and added a strip of Silver Glimmer Paper along the bottom.  I also stamped "Woohoo!" (from Big News) in Crushed Curry and hand-snipped it; this was attached to a little flat stick that I mashed into my Basic Gray ink pad.  All of this is popped up on top of the Window Sheet with Dimensionals.

I carried the Washi tape theme to the inside, as well as on the front of the envelope.

Needless to say, my brother liked his card, and it was a perfect ending to a perfect birthday!

All supplies can be purchased here.

What have you created today?

No comments: