Thursday, June 11, 2020

Whale Wishes

Today is my grandson's 4th birthday, and since I just got my box of new Stampin' UP! goodies, I couldn't wait to make him his card.  I had wrapped a present for him in paper with octopi (many octopuses?) on it, and the Whale of a Time suite seemed like the perfect products to use.   Take a look:


I know - that octopus stamp is now retired, but once you see the whole card, you'll know why I had to pull it out.

I saw a card on Rachel Tessman's blog using Whale Done along with the Whale of a Time designer series paper.  It's a template I have made before, but her card got my juices flowing...


This multi-panel card allows you to use nearly an entire sheet of 6" x 6" DSP.  Isn't it cute?

Start with a piece of cardstock (I used Pretty Peacock) that is 5-1/2" x 8-1/2", but score it at 1-1/4" and 4-1/4".  Fold on the 4-1/4", like making a regular card, but then fold back on the 1-1/4", so that you have a flap on the front of the card.

Trim your 6" x 6" DSP, taking a bit off the top only (I cut mine to 5-3/8" x 6"), and then cut it into three pieces:  2-1/4", 1-5/8", and 2-1/8".  These will make your panels.  You will also need a neutral panel to stamp on (I used Whisper White, cut to 1-13/16" (yes, I really mean 13/16") x 5-3/8".


When adhering the DSP on the front flap, be sure to add it so that it overlaps the inside of the card--only put glue on the left half of the DSP, and adhere that to the card flap.

And look at that pop-up whale:


By making a little square (using the piece of DSP that you cut off the top, cut to 2-1/2" x 3/8" and scored at 1/2", 1", 1-1/2" and 2") and glueing it on either side of the fold, you can add your whale (punched with the Whale Punch) and have him pop up when the card opens.


I stamped some of the images from the Whale Done set directly on the DSP - the sea turtle, a seahorse, some goldfish and a jellyfish.  I also added some seaweed to the white panel.


And then there's that octopus - from Sea of Textures, stamped in Granny Apple Green and cut with the coordinating dies, I had him hold up the number 4 from the new Playful Alphabet dies.  And check out that embossed background - the new Seabed embossing folder (part of the Whale of a Time suite) has great sea-inspired shapes!

This is a wonderful suite of products, and I can't wait to play again.


Product List






No comments: