Sunday, May 24, 2015

Saying Goodbye

Hard for me to imagine that just in this month of May I've had to say goodbye to two (TWO) good work friends due to retirement.  I guess when you've worked in one place for a significant amount of time (16 years for me!), and it's a good place to work, that you are bound to eventually have people retire after many years of service.   Maybe that's a good thing, but saying goodbye can be difficult.

So the most recent to retire is a nurse with whom I've worked for about 10 years.  We shared office space, and I constantly overheard her talking to herself while she did her computer work.  I used to ask if I was expected to respond, but she always declined my comment...LOL!

Using a template I had seen when the Butterfly Thinlets first came out, I created this card:
It's a really pretty, and somewhat dramatic, card in person.  The card base is Whisper White, 5-1/2" x 8-/12", and folded in half at 4-1/4".  Next comes a layer of Basic Black (4" x 5-1/4").

The top layer is Whisper White, with the medium butterfly from the Thinlets cut out and the greeting from Really Good Greetings (retiring next week!) stamped in Memento Tuxedo Black.  Behind it is a piece of Whisper White cardstock that I colored with alcohol markers in three shades--I just scribbled over the cardstock until it was a large enough area to cover the space behind the cut-out. 

Then the cool part:
I cut a piece of Basic Black with the same Butterfly Thinlet, and nestled the butterfly into the cut out in the Whisper White.  It fits perfectly and looks like the image is embedded into the white.

So  pretty!  I expect I'll make several more of these simple, almost-one-layer cards.  They are beautiful and can be used for multiple occasions.

And did you catch the matching envelope in the first photo?  Made that myself with the Envelope Punch Board and some retiring Neutrals Designer Series Paper Stack.  Then I cut the smallest butterfly from the same Thinlets set using Daffodil Delight cardstock, and layered it over a piece of Whisper White.  Easy peasy to make coordinated cards and envelopes!

Most products can be purchased here.

What have you created today?




No comments: