Thursday, September 1, 2022

A Sympathy Re-do

OK, I want to hear stories about how you've messed up the card you were making and what you did about it.  

Here's mine.

A friend recently lost her sister.  I wanted to make her a card.  So I sat down to create, pulling out Forever Fern and my Soft Sea Foam and Garden Green inks.  Sounds nice, so far, right?

My first attempt was a little off - the Soft Sea Foam was a little too light, and just didn't give me the look I wanted.  So another piece of Basic White to cut.  Try again.  This time, I used Garden Green, and stamped the leaves twice without re-inking.  Nice.  And then the greeting.  Good.  And I wanted to cut out a window at the bottom of the page so an image underneath could be visible.  Great!  All looking good so far.

And then I decided to stamp the leaves again on Vellum, cut them out and place them over the image in the window.  Really nice!  

Except - I smeared the ink and got it on the whole card!  😡

Starting over...Cut the window first and stamped the leaves, then the greeting - oh no!  The greeting is too low.

Another piece of cardstock...And it all goes well!  Finally!  Whew.  I'm liking this card!  All I need to do is stamp the inside and I'll be done.

Stamped...and...OH NO!  I stamped upside down, on the back of the card front! Argh!

After another try, using a different stamp from the set, I decide that I really liked the first card better.  So what do I do?

I cut off the front of the first card and adhere it to a new card base!  Tada!  

And here it is:


Yes, three cards later, this is what I sent to my friend.  


This is the piece of vellum, stamped with the Forever Fern image and cut with the coordinating dies.

And here is the inside:


And here is the card I made with the other image:


The vellum image just doesn't fill the window like the first card.


So does this sound familiar?  Have you ever had an experience like this?  Creating over and over until you FINALLY get it right?  Geesh...

Tell me about your stamping booboos.  I want a little vindication...😕


Product List

5 comments:

Deborah Crivello said...

Love the design. Ink smearing is the worst!!! I am not as patient as you. After messing up about 2 times, I walk away, start over with new stamp set, inks and paper. Sometimes I resort to die only cards to avoid the ink smearing. Repurposing errors is fun and sometimes better than the original.

Priscilla said...

Thanks, Deborah, for your comment. I agree, ink smears are the worst! And I have never started over THREE times! But for some reason, this card was important, and I just persevered. But die-only cards always work well--it's hard to mess them up!

Anonymous said...

Awesome

Lisa F. said...

That card is simply elegant and gorgeous!! I absolutely love it!!

Priscilla said...

Thanks, Lisa. I finally decided I liked it after I got over my frustration having to start three times! But it was a special card for a special person so I needed to get it right.