Tuesday, August 20, 2024

Bridge-fold Birthday Card

My granddaughter, Matilyn, just celebrated her 6th birthday.  I thought it would be fun to make her a special card - at this age, cards just don't hold their attention.  But my son told me that, although she tossed all her other cards aside, this one kept her enthralled for the entire evening.  Take a look:


This is a bridge-fold card, a standard-sized card (4-1/4" x 11") but with a "bridge" that helps it stand up and gives you extra space to decorate. 

After cutting my Thick Basic White cardstock to 4-1/4" x 11", I scored it at 2-3/4" and 5-1/2".  Folding it in half, I then folded the front piece "back" over the front of the card.

I also cut a "bridge" - 1" x 11" of cardstock, also scored at 2-3/4" and 5-1/2", but also at 8-1/4".


The card folds up and looks like this when pulled from the envelope.  Then, opened, it expands:


I started by creating clouds (using a stencil cut from the Basic Borders dies with Blending Brushes), and then I attached the "bridge".  This is adhered across the bottom of the card, but the center fold is a "mountain" fold (popping forward) instead of following the inside fold of the card base.


Using the Cutest Cows bundle (stamps and punch) along with the now-retired Counting Sheep stamps (and coordinating Sheep dies), I made a farmyard scene of partying animals.


Everybody is wearing party hats; 


and one brought the balloons!  

If you've never tried a bridge-fold, give it a go; I think you'll have fun! 


Product List

No comments: